Monday, March 12, 2007

Blink!

Today completed reading the book - Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, which I bought some months back.

Blink is about "power of thinking without thinking"
It's a book about rapid cognition, about the kind of thinking that happens in a blink of an eye. When you meet someone for the first time, or walk into a house you are thinking of buying, or read the first few sentences of a book, your mind takes about two seconds to jump to a series of conclusions. Well, "Blink" is a book about those two seconds, because I think those instant conclusions that we reach are really powerful and really important and, occasionally, really good.

How our brain without much conscious effort, rapidly analyzes the information, and favors some decision. This is the reason, we judge people by their look. Sometimes what we judge is right, and at sometimes is wrong. We are mostly unable to explain why we had a gut feeling like that.
Believe it or not, it's because I decided, a few years ago, to grow my hair long. If you look at the author photo on my last book, "The Tipping Point," you'll see that it used to be cut very short and conservatively. But, on a whim, I let it grow wild, as it had been when I was teenager. Immediately, in very small but significant ways, my life changed. I started getting speeding tickets all the time--and I had never gotten any before. I started getting pulled out of airport security lines for special attention.

- Author

After reading this book, you may have clear view of when to use this blink positively.

Tipping Point - is a previous book by the author. That's too a wonderful book about social interactions, and how a news becomes hit or miss. Who makes it hit? How it transcends. Tipping Point is basically the point at which if the influences are with right person, it will become hit, if it were under the other it goes to the other end.

Both the books are full of real and much happened social situations, and analysis of reasons behind them. That makes reading this book interesting, like: What made crime-rate increase or decrease? How graffiti on the trains influences mugging? The theory of broken window. How the not most obvious things play a greater role in the result?

Finally, before finishing this note, I just remember how I started reading the books of this author. It's started from the forward of this article - The Art of Failure (Why some people choke and others panic), from a friend.

No comments:

Recommended Blog Posts